The best coffee shops near MSMC
By Belle Frank
I am the self-appointed coffee connoisseur on campus. My addiction to a good caffeinated beverage has made me travel far and wide to find the best shops with the perfect balance of decent coffee and a studious atmosphere. Here are my favorites ranked:
5. Blacc Vanilla, Newburgh, NY
Located only a couple of blocks from campus, Blacc Vanilla has a swanky atmosphere accompanied with delicious lattes and beverages. They also have a savory menu for food that is to die for. The shop is complete with local art of popular musical performers. Enjoy your coffee with Chance the Rapper!
4. Bank Square, Beacon, NY
This coffee shop is the first building that greets you when you turn onto Main Street in Beacon. The owners opened the shop to create a relaxing atmosphere for locals and visitors alike. Bank Square has a variety of coffee drinks to order, mine being the Vietnamese iced coffee. It is made with dark roast drip coffee and sweetened condensed milk, giving it an intense flavor. The shop also has vegan and gluten free pastry options.
By Mack the Knight
Believe it or not, the spring semester is only two weeks away! Here are some things you can do right now to prepare for a fantastic Spring 2020 semester:
- Start packing: If you pack for five minutes every day, then you won’t have to cram next Sunday! Don’t forget to bring back a professional outfit for any Career Center events or internship/job interviews coming up this semester.
- Read a good book: Knowledge helps in any field, so no matter what classes you’re taking this semester, you’ll have a broader worldview just by reading one extra book! (Even better, get ahead on your semester’s reading by starting one of your textbooks early.)
- Join a new club: Check out our list of more than 30 clubs and reach out to the club president to find out when they meet!
- Get ahead on applications: Now is the time to start applications for graduate school, summer jobs and internships, study abroad, donor scholarships, and more! Check out the Portal announcements section for upcoming deadlines.
- Set your schedule: Curl up in a comfy chair and write out your schedule, either digitally or in a planner, for the semester, including classes, club meetings, internship or job hours, and sports practices and games. That way, you can start the semester off feeling organized and just having to add tests and project deadlines! Don’t forget to schedule in some time for self-care and relaxation.
- Sleep in: We all know sleep is a precious commodity in college, so get in some extra zzzz’s now so you feel refreshed and ready to tackle the coming semester!
By Mack the Knight
Whether you’re a prospective student, current student, or alumni, we’ve got a Mount resolution to inspire you throughout 2020!
1. Apply to the Mount!
2. Attend an admissions event.
3. Commit to the Mount!
4. Start classes here.
5. Take a photo with your acceptance packet and post it to social media (be sure to tag us #LovintheKnightLife)!
6. Make the Dean’s List.
7. Reach 20 pieces of Mount swag in your closet.
8. Take a class in a subject you’ve never tried before.
9. Make three new friends. Continue Reading
The 2010s were a pretty good decade for the Mount! We saw growth in a number of areas and had some pretty awesome moments. Here are a few of our favorites!
1. We bought, renovated, and opened the Dominican Center.
2. Jesse McCartney played on campus in 2018 and brought out the inner early 2000s middle school girl in all of us.
3. We added 19 new programs to our academic offerings, including concentrations in Sports Management and Healthcare Management as well as majors like Cybersecurity and Exercise Science. Continue Reading
By Mack the Knight
1. Thou shall not go more than one day without seeing someone from Long or Staten Island.
2. Thou shall own at least 10 Mount shirts prior to graduation (at least 7 of which thou received for free at an event).
3. Thou shall not step on the seal in Aquinas Hall if thou does not want to be delayed in graduating (according to myth that is handed down from generation to generation).
4. Thou shall hold the door open for the next person no matter how far away they are.
5. Thou shall take at least one class on the third floor in Aquinas. Thou is also obligated to complain about the stairs every time they are climbed.
6. Thou shall not make it through all four years without being confused with another Mount Saint Mary. “The one in Maryland?” “No.” “The one in California?” “…no.”
7. Thou shall wear thy lanyard around thine neck the first few weeks of freshman year (and then suddenly stop for some reason).
8. Thou shall describe the Mount as “home” or “community” at least once.
9. Thou shall not enter Billy Joe’s or the Alexis Diner without seeing at least one other fellow Knight.
10. Thou shall take every opportunity to replace “night” with “Knight.”
Have you broken any of these commandments? No worries! Just try to be a better Knight next time!