Here’s Why the MSMC Career Center Rocks

by · October 8, 2019

By Mack the Knight

Ask graduating seniors which offices impacted their time on campus the most, and you’re sure to always have many people mention the Career Center.

It makes sense. The Career Center holds so much responsibility for helping students succeed. From professional development to career counseling to preparing for graduate school to finding an internship to sprucing up resumes…goodness, I’m out of breath just listing off some of their responsibilities!

But what really makes the Career Center at the Mount incredible is the staff. They are truly such an amazing group of people who work tirelessly to help us all succeed and let us know there is always someone in our corner cheering for us. From the director, Kathleen O’Keefe, who was recognized as a pillar of the Mount this year; to Heather Fitzsimmons, who was one of Dutchess County’s Forty Under 40 recipients; to Ellen Bourhis-Nolan, who runs so many workshops to help students be prepared for jobs or graduate school; to Robin Rosenberg, who is so involved on campus and in the community; to the always bubbly Megan Rossi ’13, who returned to the Mount community after volunteering in the Peace Corps; to the incredible Regina Eisenbacher, who keeps everything organized and always has a smile for everyone. It’s just an incredible group!

But don’t just take my word for it: So many of our students rave about the Career Center that we wanted to collect it all in one place.

The Career Center went above and beyond to help me. Mrs. O’Keefe (the Career Center director) helped me create and polish my resume, and she arranged interviews at a newspaper and a publishing company. These internships really helped focus my resume and give me experience in my field, which went a long way. The Mount is the main reason I found what I wanted in a career.” — Courtney Fahy ’14, editorial assistant at Little Bee Books

“My Career Center advisor helped me fix my resume, develop cover letters, and apply for jobs and externships. She kept me informed about when externships and jobs were posted. She also helped me prepare and educated me on what to expect in interviews. Without my career advisor, I would not have been so prepared for job applications and interviews, and I may not have been able to receive the vital experience that my summer externship gave me.” — Victoria Mannone ’19, registered nurse at Mayo Clinic

“The Career Center is definitely what I will miss most about the Mount. They helped me exponentially in growing my resume and connecting me with outside sources so I had the opportunity to grow my network. Without help from them, the position that I am in now might just be a thought in my mind, not a reality.” — Bryan Gayton ’19, financial service consultant at Strategic Financial Solutions

“I’d also like to mention the amazing help I received from the Career Center. I had absolutely no resume writing skills, and now I’m a pro!” — Amy Goldstein ’13, chemist in the Quality Control lab for Nature’s Bounty

“The Career Center here at the Mount has helped me immensely in preparing for grad school. Robin Rosenburg, who is one of the career counselors, has helped me so much.” — Taylor Keller ’19, graduate school student at Aldephi University

“The Mount’s Career Center made a great impact in my career. They helped me pursue an internship every year starting my sophomore year. I believe having the experience of working with 3 different organizations helped me realize the atmosphere and type of work I enjoyed and also helped me build business relationships. These relationships and experiences helped me find a job after graduation. I remember sitting in Kathleen Keefe’s office my sophomore year. She told me about an internship opening at Cornerstone Family Healthcare. It was the best internship experience I had, it was the perfect fit for me. I learned a lot from my supervisor and the experience opened many doors.” — Karla Leon ’16, marketing coordinator at Inspire

There’s so many more reviews like these, of students and alumni resounding their gratitude for this amazing office, but we’ll leave you with those for now. From all of us at the Mount, we’d like to give a huge thank you to the Career Center staff for their tireless efforts to prepare us for the next steps in life!

If you’d like to learn more about the Mount’s Career Center and the services they offer, click here.