The Mount’s Unspoken Social Etiquette

by · September 12, 2019

By Mack the Knight

It’s the Mount’s unstated social code.

I’m not really sure how it first started or how it continues to spread, but it seems to be silently communicated to each new class, about the same time as freshman students’ ID lanyards magically begin to stop appearing around their necks and instead get stashed in a bag or pocket.

Maybe it stems from our commitment to service as a campus. Maybe it’s because we’re such a small school and we know everyone else. Or maybe it’s because everyone here is just so nice and generous.

But for whatever reason, everyone 👏 holds 👏 the 👏 door 👏 open 👏 for 👏 everyone 👏 else.

It doesn’t matter which door. It doesn’t matter how far away the person is behind you (who now feels obligated to half walk/half jog). It doesn’t matter if you yourself are late for class or a meeting. It’s simply the law of the land. In fact, it’s such a regular occurrence that you still remember that one person who didn’t hold the door open for you that one afternoon in freshman year.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about this code at all. It warms my heart and is one of the (many) reasons I love being part of the Mount family.

In fact, I actually think it points to a really awesome fact about this campus: the strong, prevalent sense of community that reigns here. It may not seem like a big deal on a day-to-day basis, and maybe you don’t even really think about it until years after you graduate, but this small gesture of kindness to hold the door open for another person speaks volumes about how deeply we care about each other this campus. It’s something you won’t often find anywhere else.

So as we begin to celebrate our 60th anniversary here at the college, let’s celebrate the Mount’s spirit in the best way we know how: by holding the door open for a fellow Mount family member.

Filed Under: Featured Posts

Tags: ,