Thursday Thoughts – “Fairly” Good Advice

by · January 17, 2019

By Dan Fenyo

For today’s entry, I’ve turned to some of my fellow counselors for help. The question I asked was, “If you met a family who was planning to go to their first college fair, what would be your one piece of advice?” Let’s see what they had to say!

Brittany Ambrosino
says: “Don’t be afraid to talk to college reps.

We’re at fairs for one thing: to talk! I mentioned this in Monday’s post, but it’s so important to reiterate the point. If your plan at a fair is to stand 10 feet away from the row of tables and read our minds, you probably aren’t taking advantage of the oportunity in front of you. Step right up and let’s chat! I promise you won’t regret it.

Paola Martinez says: “Let the student do most of the talking.

As a parent or guardian, I know how many questions you have about applying, enrolling, registering, paying, etc. Coming prepared with plenty of insightful questions is essential to a successful fair experience. That being said, remember who’s actually going to college! As an admissions counselor, it makes a world of difference for a student at a fair to willingly engage me in a conversation. When the time comes to review their application, that little chat at a fair can sometimes make a big difference.

Matt Dembinsky says: “Look at colleges you’ve never heard of.”

Huh? What’s Matt talking about? He isn’t telling you to spend your time searching out the most obscure university from across the country for nothing. What Matt means to stress is the importance of open-mindedness. There are around 5,000 different colleges and universities in the United States alone; take the time to meet with representatives from your student’s top schools and, if you’ve got time left, check out a few lesser-known ones. You never know when you’ll stumble upon your student’s future alma mater!

Are you a college fair newbie or an old pro? What advice do you have for other college fair attendants? I’d love to hear back from you! Check us out on Instagram and Facebook #LivinTheKnightLife

Daniel Fenyo
has been an admissions counselor at the Mount since September 2018. A lifelong Hudson Valley resident, he enjoys reading, writing, and all things nerdy in his free time.

Find out more about becoming part of the Knight Life at Mount Saint Mary College by visiting our Admissions site!

Filed Under: Admissions

Tags: