Meet the Mount: Kathleen O’Keefe

by · September 27, 2018

In our “Meet the Mount” series, we’ll be highlighting some of the Mount’s people – our students, faculty, staff, and alumni – who make this college the wonderful community it is.

Kathleen O’Keefe, director of the Career Center

Title: Director of the Career Center

Years at the Mount: 1991-1992, 2005-present

Department: Career Center

Campus involvement: Advisor for the Student Business Association

Favorite spot on campus: Chapel of the Most Holy Rosary

One word to describe the Mount: Caring

One of the most exciting things to see during Kathleen O’Keefe’s time at the Mount has been the transition her department has undergone over the years.

The Career Center was established in 2009, and she notes that it was exciting to be part of that transformation. While she was originally hired to coordinate internships, her role has changed so much over the years. Now, she oversees career readiness, professional development, and global opportunities in addition to internships.

Part of her drive for this work comes from her own college experience. “I didn’t take advantage of my college career center,” she explains, “and when I finally got around to interning the second semester of my senior year, I was told where I was going to intern by my advisor. There wasn’t a thought process, I never made a resume, I never interviewed, it was truly a ‘placement.'”

That couldn’t be further from what happens in her office now. “Here at MSMC, we pride ourselves in working 1:1 with students to explore potential careers and give them options when applying for internships. We introduce students to our network so they can learn from professionals in the field. Students leave prepared knowing what they want and able to apply for jobs and to interview. It’s so important to have these skills.”

She hopes that students who interact with her office recognize that they can come back to the center multiple times throughout their college career. “We’re not meant to be a one-time appointment and I want students to engage with our office early and often. And then, I love to hear from them as alumni too!” she added.

At the end of the day, Kathleen’s favorite part of working at the Mount is the students and the sense of community on campus. “College students are the best,” she said. “I love working with them to explore careers and internships and to see it all come together. There’s nothing more rewarding than to see a former student succeeding in the professional world.”

What is your Mount story? Contact us at webservices@msmc.edu to share your Mount experience!