My First Year – Switching Your Major

by · July 2, 2018

Why did you choose your major? A member of the Class of 2021 talks about why she decided to become a Psychology major at the Mount:

“Declaring a major for college can be scary, especially if you don’t know what you want to do. For me, I loved learning about the brain and everything Psychology had to teach. I came into the school as a Psychology major, but after getting a job that had me interacting with children, I figured out I needed to teach. Some of my friends at the Mount went into the school intending to be a teacher. They said that the Education courses they took were great and that if I was thinking about changing my major, I should do it my freshman year.

I scheduled a meeting with my academic advisor, and she told me how to switch majors. It consisted of going to the Psychology, Education, and English faculty to get signed off as switching majors. Everyone in these divisions were really helpful with my transition of changing majors. Plus, when I started telling people that I switched my major and was now going to be a teacher, they were all super supportive. My mom knew I was going to end up being a teacher, so she wasn’t shocked either.

At the Mount, students interested in Education major in Math, History, English, Science, or a language in addition to their Education courses. I chose English as it is my favorite subject.

Mount Saint Mary College made the process of switching majors easy to understand and obtain. The process of changing majors was very easy and even the Psychology faculty were super supportive of what I wanted to do. I am so glad that I decided to switch my major. For a while, I had no clue where I was going to go with Psychology, and I was starting to get worried for the future. However, I have never been sure of anything more than the fact that I want to be a teacher.

If you are coming to the school with a undecided major, do not worry. For your freshman year, all you really taking are core classes. These are classes that you need in order to graduate no matter your major. You have the first year to discover yourself and your passions and figure out where you want to go in life. Even if you don’t figure out in the first year, the process of switching majors at the Mount is simple, and people will always be around to help you figure out what degree you’d like to obtain. So don’t stress if you don’t know where you’re going in life; you’re only 18. Most people I know have switched there major 3 to 4 times already and are still not sure if that’s what they want to do with their life. Mount Saint Mary College will do whatever they can to help you figure out what your passions are and how to make a career out of them.”

Filed Under: Featured Posts

Tags: , ,