Then and Now: Joe Henain ’14

by · June 26, 2018

When asked about his future as a senior, Joseph (Joe) Henain ’14 remarked that he felt ready for the next step – medical school – because of the Mount’s preparation. “I feel incredibly bless to be part of this incredible institution,” noted the Biology major on the Pre-Med track in 2013, “and the Mount has definitely prepared me for my next step in life and to fulfill all my dreams to become a doctor.”

Now, four years later, Joe has accomplished that dream.

In May, Joe graduated from Albany Medical College with a degree in medicine, and is already preparing for his next challenge, pursuing training in the field of Vascular and Interventional Radioloy at Emory University in Atlanta, GA.

“(The Mount) gave me a great pre-med program,” Joe said. “Every single faculty that I met here has gone above and beyond to help me succeed, not just here at the college level, but teach me lessons about how to succeed in the real world. They’ve given me every opportunity that a big university could, and some more.”

Jodie Fahey, assistant professor of Chemistry and one of Joe’s mentors while at the Mount, attended his graduation from medical school, which was such a fulfilling moment for her.

“It was a very proud moment for me as his research mentor and professor while at the Mount,” she said. “This is what I work hard for here at the Mount…to see my students not only succeed here, but go on and succeed in the future using their MSMC foundation.”

Right: Jodie Fahey, assistant professor of Chemistry at the Mount, and Joseph Henain ’14 at his graduation from medical school

Today, Joe still uses what he learns at the Mount in his profession. “My time spent in the Division of Natural sciences taught me how to think critically and approach problem solving in a logical way. I still use this approach in treating patients on a day to day basis!”

Joe as a student at the Mount in 2013.