Then and Now: Megan Capurso ’14

by · June 7, 2018

Left: Megan Capurso graduates from the Mount in 2014. Right: Megan Capurso ’14 at her graduation from Boston College School of Theology and Ministry with a Master of Divinity.

Around this time in 2014, Megan Capurso ’14 was getting ready to set out on a new adventure.

The Mount alumna, who majored in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in Religious Studies and Psychology, had graduated a year early from the Mount thanks to college credits earned in high school. The fresh college graduate had her sights on a year of service with Capuchin Youth and Family Ministries in Garrison, N.Y., followed by pursuing a master’s degree in Theology.

Four years later, she has accomplished all of those goals. After completing a year of service with the Capuchins, Megan began graduates studies at Boston College School of Theology and Ministry and graduated this May with a Master of Divinity.

Her time at the Mount helped to spur on her love of the faith, both by participating in Campus Ministry events and serving as the college sacristan, and through Religious Studies courses under the direction of Fr. Francis Amodeo, O.Carm, former chaplain and director of Campus Ministry, and Robert Miller, assistant professor of Religious Studies.

“I considered a career in English, but my religion is what I always came back to; it’s what I’m never tired of reading and learning about,” she noted in 2014. “Every class was incredible. I love Catholicism, and I think its history is beautiful.”

All coming together: Friars from Capuchin Youth and Family Ministries, where Megan completed a year of service following graduation from the Mount, attended her graduation from Boston College School of Theology and Ministry last month. From left: Br. Lake Herman, O.F.M., Cap.; Megan; and Fr. Marvin Bearis, O.F.M., Cap.

That love of the faith is still as strong as ever, and Megan noted that her Mount foundation helped her in her approach both in ministry and in graduate school.

“My time at the Mount helped me to foster a deep sense of my ministerial calling,” she explained. “One of the most important lessons my time at the Mount taught me was how to live out my faith authentically and joyfully. This is something I try to encourage all of the students I encounter to do as well.”

“The close-knit community of the Mount, different prayer and liturgical opportunities offered by Campus Ministry, and the knowledge I gained through my classes helped to show me that my passion for Theology was a lifelong endeavor,” she added.

Megan will now be passing along her passion for the faith to others, utilizing her skills as a campus minister and theology teacher.

I’m at an exciting crossroad of my life,” Megan said upon thinking about the future. “I’m getting ready to minister full-time. This is what I’ve wanted to do for a very long time and I’m excited and grateful for this opportunity. Mount Saint Mary College was exactly the place I needed to be to discover my gifts and love for ministry.”

Want to learn more about the Mount’s Religious Studies and Biblical Studies minors? Discover the Division of Philosophy and Religious Studies here.