1968-2018: A Letter to the Class of 2018

by · May 15, 2018

Dear Class of 2018,

As you are looking ahead to your future, the Class of 1968 is looking back as we anticipate being on campus again for out 50th reunion. Fifty years has flown by, filled with jobs, marriages (and some divorces), children, grandchildren, deaths, travel, retirement, volunteering, and all of the other factors that are a part of life. For some of us the path was straight; for others there were bumps in the road as well as twists and turns. But for each of us who are returning this September, Mount Saint Mary College is a part of the foundation of our adulthood. 

Above: Mount students on the lawn of Rosary Heights, a former campus building, in the 1960s.

The Mount was very different 50 years ago. The only men on campus were professors and employees. Students wore skirts on campus and were held to a rather strict curfew in the dorms. Classes were mostly all held in Aquinas. There were fewer choices of classes. The Villa was a dormitory as well as the Garden Apartments and the Courts. So for those coming back to campus after many years away, the Mount will look much different.

For me personally, the Mount has remained a steadfast part of my life. I have been involved with the Alumni Association since its beginning, serving in various capacities. I was also privileged to spend some time teaching a class and supervising student teachers. These positions very positively reinforced to me how seriously Mount Saint Mary College takes its mission. Attending various activities on campus has always inspired me to stay connected.

Someday you too will be looking back over the past fifty years. My wish for each of you is that you too will have valued friendships, successful careers, loving families, strong faith, and wonderful memories of your time spent at the Mount. It is easier to stay in touch with each other with social media. I encourage each of you to do so. Giving back and paying it forward also enriches our lives. May God bless each of you as you graduate into a new world.

Very truly yours,
Beverly R McDermott Mennerich ’68