A Letter to the Class of 2018

by · May 4, 2018

Dear Class of 2018,

Wow – the time has come! I know some of you may have been dreading this moment of saying goodbye to the Mount, and some of you may be anxious to start this next chapter in your life. The “real world” seems scary, but trust me, it’s going to be okay! Take a deep breath, set some goals, talk to your friends and family, and never lose sight of what you’ve been working towards.

The summer after graduating is going to feel kind of weird. In fact, I felt the most off when I saw all my friends from the Class of 2018 moving back on campus at the end of August, and all my dorm stuff was still sitting in my shed. Luckily, I have some good news for you…THE MOUNT ISN’T GOING ANYWHERE! You can still visit and get an omelet from Steve, you can still go to basketball games in the winter, and you can still say hi to Joe in Sakac! Although it may not be a hop, skip, and a jump away like it is now, the Mount has given you reasons to want to come back. Embrace all of the memories you’ve made these past for years and find time to come back and “take a walk down memory lane.”

In case you didn’t know, no two people have the same exact plan after graduation. Some of you may go straight into the work field, some of you may get a place of your own, some of you may go back to school, and some of you may still be figuring out what your next step is. Always remember that you are your own person with your own game plan. It’s okay if you’re not exactly where you want to be the minute you graduate – that’s the beauty of having plenty of days to work towards what you want! Currently, I am finishing up my second-to-last semester of graduate school for Mental Health Counseling while working part time as a teaching assistant and juggling a rewarding internship. I know I am not where I want to be at this exact moment, but I can see my end goal coming soon! No matter what you do and where you decide to go, give 110% and never forget where you came from.

Congratulations Class of 2018! Cherish the time you have left at the Mount with the people that have made it memorable these past 4 years. Once a knight, always a knight!

Elizabeth Lavin, Class of 2017

P.S. It’s okay to cry during senior week – I know I did plenty of times! 😉

Did you know that the Mount has an active Alumni Association? Click here to learn more about your alumni benefits, including library use, printing allowances, gym access, and more. Congratulations, Class of 2018!