Where are they now? Mount science alumni

by · April 24, 2018

Where are they now? In honor of our Division of Natural Sciences celebration this week, we decided to catch up with a few of our recent science alumni and see where life has taken them after the Mount.

Joseph Henain ’14 – Since graduation, Joe has been pursuing his studies in the medical field. This coming June, Joe will be a doctor (MD), pursuing training in the field of Vascular and Interventional Radioloy at Emory University in Atlanta. “My time spent in the Division of Natural sciences taught me how to think critically and approach problem solving in a logical way. I still use this approach in treating patients on a day to day basis!”

Amy Goldstein ’13 – Amy is a chemist in the Quality Control lab for Nature’s Bounty, a vitamin company based out of Long Island. She has also returned to campus to mentor other science students (right: Goldstein, center, shares her experiences on the “Careers in Sciences” panel). “I can attribute my current – and future – success to my experiences at the Mount, especially my relationships with the Natural Sciences division faculty. It was Dr. Maelia in particular who taught me the basics of Analytical Chemistry, which is essentially my job now. She also helped me land my first job and gain real-world experience right after graduation. I’m still very grateful for the support that all of my science professors offered throughout my time there. I’d also like to mention the amazing help I received from the Center for Career and Experiential Education. I had absolutely no resume writing skills, and now I’m a pro!”

Jacqueline Copeland ’17 – After graduation in May, Jacqueline began a research trainee position at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the lab of William R. Jacobs. Her research includes developing phenotypic diagnostic assays for Tuberculosis using reporter mycobacteriophages. She is also preparing to begin graduate school at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY in the fields of Biochemistry, Molecular, and Cell Biology. “The Viral Discovery course offered by the Natural Science division at the Mount was very helpful in obtaining this position because my PI (Primary Investigator) was looking for students with mycobacteriophage experience. There is no way I would be on the path I am now without my experience at the Mount. I know my years of Summer Undergraduate Research (SURE) provided me with prior research experience needed to get into graduate school. I also couldn’t have done it without the guidance and mentorship of the wonderful faculty in the Natural Science department. I have formed lifelong relationships there with faculty and friends that I will always be thankful for. I also have to thank the Center for Career and Experiential Education for the help in drafting my CV and interview skills.”

Mary McEwan ’13 – Mary is using her Natural Sciences and Education background as a chemistry teacher for Somers High School in Somers, NY. She is also pursuing her second master’s degree in Instructional Technology through New York Institute of Technology. “By getting involved in the science division, I was able to make lasting connections with the faculty, and with the low faculty to student ratio my professors, had the opportunity to really get to know me. Through their contacts, their recommendation was highly regarded and I know I wouldn’t have the job I have today without their help and support!”

Want to be a Mount Natural Sciences alumnus one day? Learn more about the Natural Sciences division at the Mount.