Academic Highlight: Sports Management

by · February 1, 2018

Are you thinking about joining the Sports Management program at the Mount? Hear what one Sports Management senior has to say about her experience:

“My name is Tori Baccello, and I am currently a senior at Mount Saint Mary College. I have been studying Sports Management here at the Mount for the past three years.

Being a part of the Sports Management program has been exciting and has opened up many doors for me. During my junior year, my Sports Facility teacher, Scott Russell (who is also the head of the Sports Management program) took us on a class trip to visit The Hudson Valley Renegades. The Renegades are a single A, Tampa Bay Ray affiliate baseball team, and the purposeĀ of the trip was to see how the Renegades ran their facility and operated on a day-to-day basis. While on this class trip, I got to talking with the vice president of the Hudson Valley Renegades, and he offered me (on the spot) an internship with them the following summer. I took the position and was able to complete 3 credits of mandatory internship hours. This internship was perfect for me because my dream job is to one day work with an MLB team in their operations department.

While this internship is just 3 credits of the overall 60 you have to complete, the Sports Management program offers a wide variety of sports classes that are not only enjoyable, but informative. One class that I thought was interesting was the Gender in Sport class. Although this class is an elective class and not required, it was extremely interesting and worth taking. We learned about all the top women in sports and how women have worked their way up in the sports world over the years. I highly recommend it to anyone, not just Sports majors!

This program offers many opportunities for students and is continuing to grow each year. Scott Russell, the head of the program, is a wonderful professor who has a passion for sports and really loves helping each and every single one of his students shine in every aspect of their college career. Overall, I believe the Sports Management program is great on every level and is extremely beneficial to all who are a part of it!”

Want to learn more? Click here for more information on the Mount’s Sports Management concentration.