Spend the Night with Knitting Knights!

by · January 23, 2018

Do you know how to knit? Crochet? Well, if you do, or even if you don’t and always wanted to try, Knitting Knights is the club for you!

My name is Rebecca Lawson, and I am the president of Knitting Knights. Knitting Knights is a very relaxed club where you can work on your personal knitting or crochet project while having a conversation with fellow Knights and taking a break from a stressful week of classes. We meet every Wednesday at 7 pm in the Dominican Center. In addition to our personal projects, we also work on making squares to add to a blanket for Warm Up America, which helps with achieving our ultimate goal of giving back to the community.

In 2018, we are planning an event in early February where we will have pizza, movies, and crochet lessons on Mondays. It can be a bit challenging to learn how to knit or crochet at first, but I assure you, once you figure it out, you will not want to stop.

I took over as president last semester after learning to crochet myself just last spring. I learned how to crochet before studying abroad in London. I learned how to single, double and triple crochet and even how to follow a pattern. I studied abroad with Dr. Caruana, our faculty advisor, who was one of the main founders of the club. She is a great resource for our club and is always ready to help you with any projects you may wish to start.

Here are Dr. Caruana’s thoughts on the club!

“I learned how to knit when I was nine years old when I’d injured myself at the very beginning of summer vacation. My great aunt spent time with me and taught me to knit to keep me busy and distract me from the fact that my summer would now be spent indoors. Knitting and crochet are satisfying and stress relieving activities.

Research has demonstrated that the more frequently people knitted, the happier and calmer they said they felt. In a study of 3,500 knitters, 81% of respondents said they felt happier during and after knitting, and 54% of the respondents who were clinically depressed said knitting made them feel happy or very happy. According to Becky Stewart at Therapeutic Knitting, similar to yoga, “knitting uses physical movements to induce a state of mindfulness and affect a change in your state of mind” (Stewart, n.d., par. 7). Once you discover the healing properties of knit and crochet, you will turn to it during even the most stressful times of your college life.

I sponsor the Knitting Knights to bring a sense of community to students on campus as well as offering a way to increase both personal wellness and the wellness of our neighboring communities. Our goal is to not only Warm Up America, but warm up Newburgh! When I learned how to knit all those years ago, I learned a very important lesson: No idle hands! Keep your hands busy, and when you use your talents in service to others, you will both be a blessing and be blessed yourself.

Want to learn more about the Knitting Knights? Join them for their next meeting in the Dominican Center or email Rebecca at rlaw2770@my.msmc.edu for more information!

Filed Under: Featured Posts

Tags: , , ,