Meet the Mount: Sharee Powell ’21

by · January 8, 2018

In our “Meet the Mount” series, we’ll be highlighting some of the Mount’s people – our students, faculty, staff, and alumni – who make this college the wonderful community it is.

Sharee Powell ’21

Class Year: Sophomore

Major: Biology

Campus Activities/Jobs: Mount Activities Programming (MAP), Alpha Knights Step Team, Orientation

Favorite spot on campus: The library!

One word to describe the Mount: Homey

Above: Sharee Powell on Move In Day in 2017

For Sharee Powell, it was a no brainer to get involved the second she arrived on campus in August of 2017. The sophomore Biology major, who enjoyed her many extracurricular activities in middle and high school, knew that her experiences outside the classroom would help her become quickly acclimated with the community.

“My passion for initiating change inspired me to join a new club called the Mount Activities Programming aka MAP,” she explained, “where I’d help in planning events to keep other students involved and active in the Mount Community.”

That passion for effecting change lead to her favorite academic experience thus far as a Biology major. “During my freshman year I had a community based learning trip where myself and my peers visited a nearby forest and tested the rushing waters for the oxygen concentration or to determine the pH of the water, and distinguishing the types of trees, fungi, and lichen. It was the best hands-on learning experience I’d had so far!” she added.

She is grateful for opportunities, resources, and community that the Mount has provided for her college experience thus far. “Help is always given at the Mount and the resources here such as the librarians and the writing center help make the heavy work load feel lighter. The Mount has a small tight knit community with endless learning opportunities and friendly faculty members!”

What is your Mount story? Contact us at webservices@msmc.edu to share your Mount experience!