My First Year – Testing Tips

by · December 7, 2017

Hey​ ​there!​ ​My​ ​name​ ​is​ ​Natalya​ ​Hoover,​ ​and​ ​I​ ​have​ ​just​ ​started​ ​my​ ​freshman​ ​year.​ ​I​ ​came​ ​to the​ ​Mount​ ​to​ ​pursue​ ​a​ ​career​ ​​in​ ​Psychology​ ​in​ ​hopes​ ​that​ ​after​ ​graduation,​ ​I​ ​can​ ​continue to​ ​help​ ​individuals​ ​for​ ​a​ ​living. ​​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​

As​ ​my first finals​ ​week​ ​approaches,​ ​I’m​ ​not​ ​going​ ​to​ ​lie​ – ​I​ ​am​ ​nervous.​ ​Testing​ ​is​ ​nerve-wrecking,​ ​ ​but​ ​really,​ ​a​ ​final​ ​is​ ​just​ ​another​ ​test​ ​of​ ​what​ ​we​ ​learned throughout​ ​the​ ​course.​ ​

Mount Saint Mary College ​has​ ​several​ ​academic​ ​tools​ ​open​ ​to​ ​us​ ​to​ ​help​ ​with​ ​test preparation. ​​In​ ​the​ ​Dominican​ ​Center,​ ​for example, you can gather some friends and ​reserve​ ​a​ ​study​ ​room. Surrounding​ ​yourself​ ​with​ ​the​ ​ones​ ​you​ ​love​ ​the​ ​most​ ​could​ ​help​ ​reduce​ ​a​ ​bit​ ​of​ ​that​ ​test​ ​anxiety feeling.​ ​While​ ​you’re​ ​all​ ​working​ ​hard​ ​studying though,​ ​don’t​ ​forget to​ ​take​ ​a​ ​few​ ​breaks!​ ​Take​ ​a walk​ ​around​ ​campus​ ​and​ ​enjoy​ ​the​ ​fresh​ ​air.​ ​

Counseling Services can also help with your anxieties too.​ ​In their office, you​ ​can ​make​ ​an​ ​appointment​ ​and​ ​just​ ​talk​ ​about​ ​what​ ​is​ ​stressing​ ​you​ ​out.​ ​They​ ​will​ ​give​ ​you many​ ​different​ ​options​ ​on​ ​how​ ​to​ ​calm​ ​yourself​ ​down​ ​and​ ​prepare​ ​for​ ​the​ ​test.​ ​

With​ ​finals,​ ​there are​ ​always​ ​papers, and that’s ​when​ ​the​ ​Writing​ ​Center​ ​comes​ ​in!​ ​By​ ​appointment,​ ​the​ ​Writing​ ​Center can​ ​help​ ​you​ ​on​ ​what​ ​you​ ​could​ ​improve​ ​or​ ​what​ ​you​ ​could​ ​add to your papers.​ ​Though​ ​they​ ​will​ ​not​ ​revise your​ ​entire​ ​paper,​ ​they​ ​are​ ​here​ ​to​ ​help​ ​you​ ​improve​ ​as​ ​a​ ​writer​ ​by​ ​providing​ ​advice. ​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​

​Even​ ​though​ ​the​ ​Mount​ ​provides​ ​a​ ​lot​ ​of​ ​on-campus​ ​help,​ ​there​ ​are​ ​also other​ ​ways​ ​to​ ​help yourself.​ ​Music​ ​always​ ​seems​ ​to​ ​be​ ​an​ ​escape​ ​for​ ​everyone.​ ​Instead​ ​of​ ​listening​ ​to​ ​the​ ​same artists​ ​you​ ​normally​ ​would​ ​listen​ ​to though,​ ​give​ ​a​ ​try​ ​to​ ​the​ ​artists​ ​you​ ​normally​ ​wouldn’t​ ​want​ ​to​ ​hear. Who​ ​knows,​ ​maybe​ ​you’ll​ ​find​ ​your​ ​new​ ​favorite​ ​artist!​ ​If​ ​you’re​ ​not​ ​a​ ​fan​ ​of​ ​change,​ ​jamming out​ ​to​ ​your​ ​favorite​ ​playlist​ ​is​ ​a​ ​great​ ​idea​ ​to​ ​release​ ​those​ ​stress​ ​hormones​ ​too.

Besides​ ​music, there​ ​are​ ​many​ ​phone​ ​applications​ ​to​ ​help with ​anxiety​ ​and stress.​ ​Each​ ​app​ ​has​ ​their​ ​own​ ​way​ ​of​ ​helping​ ​you​ ​to​ ​destress​ ​yourself.​ ​Whether​ ​it​ ​be​ ​with coloring​ ​or​ ​breathing,​ ​a​ ​simple​ ​phone​ ​app​ ​can​ also ​help​ ​you​ ​relax, which helps​ ​reduce the​ ​activity​ ​of​ ​stress​ ​hormones​ ​and​ ​improve​ ​concentration.​ ​

If​ ​anxiety​ ​or​ ​stress​ ​apps​ ​aren’t​ ​your style,​ ​there’s​ ​always​ ​the​ ​Kaplan​ ​Gym.​ ​Exercising​ ​is​ ​a​ ​form​ ​of​ ​distraction​ ​and​ ​a​ ​way​ ​of​ ​releasing those​ ​feel​ -good​ ​endorphins! ​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​

Ultimately, however, if​ ​the​ ​reason​ ​why​ ​you​ ​are​ ​really​ ​stressing​ ​is​ ​because​ ​of​ ​the​ ​infamous​ ​procrastination,​ ​it​ ​is​ ​time to​ ​avoid​ ​it.​ ​Procrastination​ ​is​ ​evil​ ​and​ ​hard​ ​not​ ​to​ ​do.​ ​If​ ​you​ ​want​ ​to​ ​achieve​ ​those​ ​fantastic grades,​ ​it’s​ ​time​ ​to​ ​stop​ ​putting​ ​aside​ ​those​ ​assignments​ ​and​ ​get​ ​going! ​ ​​ ​​ ​​ ​​

​I​ ​have​ a lot ​to​ ​complete​ ​before finals​ ​week.​ ​However, by​ ​surrounding​ ​myself​ ​with​ ​my​ ​friends​ ​and​ ​using​ ​the​ ​resources​ ​open​ ​to me at the Mount,​ ​I​​ ​feel​ ​prepared​ ​for​ ​the​ ​challenges​ ​these​ ​finals​ ​will​ ​bring​ ​me!

The Office of Student Success is here to help with all of your finals week needs! Stop by their office in Aquinas 100A for more information.

Filed Under: Featured Posts

Tags: , ,