My First Year – Going the Extra Mile

by · November 17, 2017

My name is Camryn Christensen, and I am a freshman here at Mount Saint Mary College. When I was in high school, college was always just a dream – until it became a reality! Now I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else. Coming to the Mount and starting a whole new life – between moving in, meeting new people and attending new classes – was a huge adjustment. It has occurred to me now that this is it: this is where you shine and set up what the rest of your life is going to look like.

Now to some people, being in college may mean studying as hard as possible to get the very best grade to therefore land the best job. There is nothing wrong with that, and that is what most people would want if you asked them, but most people also know it is not that easy. Compared to high school, we can all say that the workload has definitely increased, but being here for almost 3 months, I have found the amazing resources that the Mount has to offer that can help. Nothing is going to come easy to you; it usually requires work. This is why I believe it is important to not take these resources for granted and get a tutor if you need to, go to the Writing Center if you need help with a paper, and offer to help others. If you are passionate about what you’ve chosen to study and believe you can succeed, why compromise that? Study that extra hour, schedule that appointment with your tutor, and you will understand the material better. Everyone can relate to procrastination without a doubt, but if you truly believe in where you want to end up, go the extra mile to make it happen.

The best advice I could give to any college freshman is to push even harder because this is our careers on the line. Things will not be easy, I think anyone could tell you that, but don’t be afraid of what’s out there. Don’t be intimidated by what you see. Take control of the situation and do the best you possibly can. Think about how hard you have worked to get here. We may be just starting here, but we had a long journey behind us, and we finally made it to college. This dream is now a reality, so it is time to show your best. Be yourself and get out there – you have nothing to lose.