Get Involved on Campus!

by · June 13, 2017

Today, we have a post from Chris, a very active member of the Mount community. He will be sharing some of the many ways that he is involved on campus.

When I came to the Mount, I was not sure how I would get involved on campus. I had planned to join the swim team, but I wasn’t sure if that was the best fit for me. Once night, one of my first friends on campus invited me to attend an Improv meeting with her. It was the most fun I had since I came to campus. I had never done any kind of theater before and really never thought I would.

At the first Improv meeting I went to, I was invited to attend another club meeting the next day, called Different Stages. When I attended that meeting, I learned they were doing a shadow cast of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I had never seen the movie before, but I decided to audition for the production anyway. I got the part of Rocky, and little did I know that that would be one of the best things I did my freshman year.

In my second semester, due to the recommendations from my friends, I decided to join the school’s poetry club, called Essence of Poetry. When I joined this club, I once again found myself doing something I never thought I would, and having the time of my life doing it. I performed in the club’s annual Spring Poetry slam and had a blast. Throughout my time in the club I have improved my skills to perform as a poet. I was even invited to perform in the school’s first art show, the A.R.T. Show. I also helped my current roommate start his own club, Literary Society, which is a book club on campus!

I am excited to continue working with these groups throughout my college career, and even holding officer positions within these clubs. I was always told college was the time to try different things, and that’s exactly what I have been able to do here at the Mount. Now as I begin my junior year, I am looking forward to all of the great experiences I will have in the future!

How do you want to get involved at the Mount? Check out our list of clubs and activities here, or reach out to our Student Activities office to create your own!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Chris Discala, Class of 2019, is a technology and digital media major from Staten Island, NY.