You end up where you are meant to be

by · May 19, 2017

Hello! First, let me introduce myself, and pull back the curtain a bit. My name is Madison, and I have been the Marketing Intern this semester. That means that I have been one of the people responsible for bringing you posts each week. I have enjoyed my time working here, and sharing just some of the stories from our wonderful students here at the Mount. I am a senior here at the Mount, and in these last few weeks leading up to graduation, I have been reflecting a lot on my time here. 

When I was a senior in college, I remember being so stressed out from the college application process that I actually gave myself panic attacks. I found peace when a family friend told me, “You end up where you are meant to be.” A few weeks later, I came to visit the Mount for the first time. From that first trip, I knew that I would ultimately wind up here. I have had many people ask me why I chose this school, and to be perfectly honest, I have trouble putting my finger on one specific reason. It was really just a feeling that I got, a feeling like everything was finally falling into place, and that I was meant to be here.

I have spent three wonderful years here. I am graduating early, thanks to credits I transferred in from AP classes in high school. And while I hate the idea of leaving a place that has become a safe haven for me for three years, I know that it is absolutely time for me to move on to the next adventure. Graduation is a double edged sword. On one hand, I am excited to go home and see what else my life has in store for me. But on the other hand, I am sad about everything that I will leave behind.

During my time here, I have met some truly incredible people, and they have become some of my closest friends. I know that regardless of where our lives take us, we will stay friends long after graduation. I am so grateful that I have them in my life, and I know that this is one of the reasons why I meant to come to the Mount.

The most important piece of advice I could share with incoming students would be to be grateful for your time in college, because it does not last forever. Cherish every late night study session with friends, every mundane trip to Walmart, every frigid walk back to your dorms from Aquinas, and all the moments in between. Remember every moment of joy, pain, and stress, even if you’d rather forget them. Take these years and etch them in your mind forever. Because, the clichés are true; your time at college will be the best four years of your life, and it really does go by way too fast.

_________________________________________________________________________

Madison Beckman, Class of 2017, is a communications major with a concentration in journalism from Bay Shore, NY, with a minor in History/Political Science.

If you’ve enjoyed these posts and want to work on the blog next year, consider a marketing internship! Contact the Career Center to learn more.

Filed Under: Featured Posts

Tags: , ,