The Story of Musical Exchange

by · April 13, 2017

Today, we will hear from one of the officers of our Musical Exchange club on campus Steven Juergensen. Learn about how he and his friends created a new club on campus, allowing students to express themselves musically and come together as a community.

Getting involved in extracurricular activities was one of the greatest decisions I have made here at the Mount, and it introduced me to a lot of great people with similar interests. When I first came to the Mount, I absolutely loved it. But there was one thing that bothered me was the lack of a musical community. So during sophomore year, my friends and I fixed that.

It all started when I was lucky enough to meet a few great people, who would eventually become the club’s cofounders: Niko Marzouka, Geoffrey Quist, Johnny Vaccaro, and Jake Kosack. We started out just having jam sessions in the ground floor lounge of Guzman Hall. Once we saw the crowd that the jam sessions attracted, we knew that we were onto something, and decided to create Musical Exchange.

Our main goal as Musical Exchange is to get talented students out of their dorm rooms and give them the chance to express themselves on stage doing something they love. Each semester, we host a Jam Fest, which is a large scale event where we showcase Mount students and their talents. These events are usually very popular (we pack Hudson Auditorium!) Students have had positive reactions toward these events, and that’s why we are excited for our Spring Jam Fest on April 20.

Why should people join Musical Exchange? Because I can guarantee you will have a blast. Most students that are involved in our club really enjoy taking time out of their busy schedules to just hang out and de-stress with music. Even if you do not play an instrument, it is a great environment to surround yourself in for an hour each week.

My advice to any prospective students is to follow your heart, and get involved on campus. If you can’t find something that piques your interest, create something new! It only takes one idea to create a new home for so many students.

________________________________________________________________________

Steven Juergensen, Class of 2017, is a business administration and management major from West Islip, NY, with a concentration in Finance. He is currently the treasurer of Musical Exchange, and he is one of the founding members.

If you have any questions about Musical Exchange or want to join, you can email Steve at sjue2965@my.msmc.edu, or join their jam sessions every Tuesday at 9pm in the Knight Spot!