Q&A with Mount Athlete Jessica Rini

by · February 16, 2017

Mount Saint Mary College takes Old Westbury in Skyline League action on  Jan. 11, 2017.

Knight Life caught up with Jessica Rini, MSMC Women’s Basketball captain, to discuss what it’s like being a student athlete here at the Mount.

KL: What is your favorite aspect of basketball?

JR: My favorite part of playing basketball is when you are in the lead, and it starts to look like it’s impossible for the other team to come back. When someone makes a shot, the whole team shares the excitement. Another great feeling is when you’re down by 10 or so points and you begin to come back. The climb back up is filled with so much intensity and determination. Honestly, during moments like that, you just feel unstoppable.

KL: What is your ultimate goal for your basketball career?

JR: I plan on winning a Skyline Championship. I know my team and I are fully capable of winning.

KL: What is a typical week like for you when you are in season?

JR: When I’m in season, life can get a little crazy. I have either practice or a game every day of the week, so time is scarce. When we have games, especially away games, they usually consume the majority of my day. I have to use every free minute available, including time in between classes, to do my homework or even try and get ahead in class.

KL: How will sports play into your post-college career?

JR: I cannot see myself giving up basketball after graduation. One day, I want to be a collegiate coach myself, or maybe work with the NBA or WNBA.

___________________________________________________________________________
Jessica Rini
, Class of 2018, is a business administration student from Seaford, NY, with a concentration in sports management. She is a captain of the Women’s Basketball team, and plays power forward.