Catching Up with MSMC Knight Connor Nicholson

by · October 24, 2016

Knight Life recently caught up with Connor Nicholson, the Knights Basketball Shooting Guard from Staten Island, to talk about life as a student athlete and his favorite moments playing for the Mount.

1. How do you balance playing a sport and being a student? What do you do to unwind?

Time management is the biggest thing for a college student athlete. Practices are usually late at night during the week, which makes it important that you take classes in the morning. This gives you time during the day to get all your homework and studying done. Our off day is usually Sunday, so I like to just relax in my room. I’ll order some food and watch football with my teammates.

2. What is a typical week like for you when you are in season?

Time flies by when I’m in season. We have about one or two games a week and practice every day. It can be stressful with all the school work, practice, and games. This is why time management is so important. Especially as an education major, I have a lot of field work and I’m off campus at elementary schools in Newburgh. My week consists of class, homework, studying, and practice. If you work hard during the week, it allows you to give yourself some time to relax on the weekend.

3. At one point, you were still in high school trying to navigate where you wanted to go to college and who you wanted to play for. What advice can you give to high school students who are feeling the same way?

When I was in high school, the college recruiting process was very stressful. The Mount was the one school that really stood out to me. The most important thing to remember when visiting all these colleges is whether you see yourself being happy there for four years. Don’t choose a school because of their gym or how nice their jerseys are. Make sure they have your major and see if you would get along with the guys already on the team. Most importantly, make sure the coach is someone you can relate to and talk to on and off the court. Your coach is someone you should be able to go to with a problem, whether it’s about basketball or personal life.

4. Now that you are a senior, what are you hoping to do after graduating?

I am hoping to land a teaching job in my hometown, Staten Island, New York. I am pursing childhood/special education certification at the Mount and I’m really looking forward to entering the real world. I love working with kids and I’m very excited to teach. It’s important that kids have a teacher or role model that they look up to and is there for them.

5. What has been your favorite moment playing basketball at the Mount?

This is a tough one. There’s so many great moments I’ve had here. One that stands out to me is when we were playing SUNY Purchase at home during my sophomore year. We were down by three points with 10 seconds left and I caught a pass from my teammate Gerard Nocera and knocked down a three to send the game into overtime. We ended up winning the game.

For more information about the MSMC Knights, visit their website at www.msmcknights.com