From New York to South Africa: Lending a loving hand overseas

by · January 22, 2016

Mary Bocskocsky tutors a child in Cape Town, South Africa.

Fusing hands-on education with a passion for philanthropy, Mount Saint Mary College student Mary Bocskocsky recently taught basic math and English skills to underprivileged children in South Africa.

Bocskocsky wanted to put her teaching techniques to the test before graduating, and decided to make a humanitarian journey to Gordon’s Bay in Cape Town, South Africa.

At the Ikhaya le Themba (Home of Hope) shelter, Bocskocsky spent weeks teaching basic literacy and mathematic skills to a classroom of three- to five-year-olds. She increased her students’ skills by reading to them, introducing them to math problems, and having them write the alphabet on a small blackboard.

Literacy skills were a major focus for Mary Bocskocsky during her recent humanitarian trip.

“While I was teaching in South Africa, I saw how much I had gained from the Mount’s education program,” she explained. “Without my Mount classes, I wouldn’t have been able to do this.”

Upon her return from Africa, Bocskocsky student taught at Glenham Elementary School in Beacon, N.Y. under the tutelage of cooperating teacher Danielle Yeaple, a Mount graduate.

“I told my students that there are kids in South Africa, just like them, learning how to read,” she explained.

Mary Bocskocsky reads to children in South Africa.

Learn more about the Mount’s education program on the web at www.msmc.edu.

Questions? Email admissions@msmc.edu or call 1-888-YES-MSMC (1-888-937-6762).