The Life of an MSMC Resident Assistant

by · March 16, 2015

Steven Juergensen (far right) is a resident assistant on campus, pictured here in 2014 with Fr. Kevin Mackin, president emeritus of Mount Saint Mary College, and other student leaders.

Steven Juergensen is no stranger on campus. A Business Administration and Management student with a concentration in Finance, Steven is involved in several organizations on campus, including being an Orientation Leader and president of the SGA club, Musical Exchange. Many people, however, know Steven from his work as a resident assistant (RA) on campus. Recently, Knight Life talked to Steven about his work as an RA, including some of his favorite aspects of being an RA as well as what his job entails.

Knight Life: What is your position in Residence Life?

Steven: I am a resident assistant (RA) in Guzman Hall.

Knight Life: Give us a brief overview of the Office of Residence Life and what the job of an RA entails.

Steven: Residence Life is an office on campus that works to create a sense of community between residents. One of the ways in which we foster community is by having resident assistants, like myself, do programming and create social events to bring people together. A resident assistant also serves as a positive role model for residents while enforcing college policies throughout the campus. We mentor our residents and are always an open ear when it is needed.

Knight Life: What is your favorite part of being an RA?

Steven: My favorite part about being a RA is helping the freshmen with things I had problems with during my freshman year and making a real difference in their lives. For example, my first year, I was so worried about registration for the spring semester. I had never made my own schedule before, and I didn’t have much guidance or people to explain to me how it worked. So this year, I worked with the Center for Student Success, creating an educational program to help residents learn how to register for spring semester classes. What really made this my favorite part was how the students came up to me later on after registration thanking me for helping them. Making a difference to them is the best part of this job. Whether it be through a program or by just listening to problems they may have, helping them to the best of my ability is what makes this all worth it.

Above: Mount RAs visited a Habitat for Humanity home in 2014 during their summer training. (Steven Juergensen – far right, top row)

Knight Life: Why should students consider becoming RAs?

Steven: Being a resident assistant is one of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had. I don’t even look at it as a job anymore; it has become my lifestyle at college. It has prepared me with life skills I will carry with me for the rest of my college career and beyond.

Knight Life: If someone is interested in becoming an RA, where can they get more information?

Steven: If you are interested in becoming a Resident Assistant, there are applications available each semester in the Residence Life office (Hudson Hall, Room 117). If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at sjue2965@my.msmc.edu or you can just walk into the Residence Life office and any member of the Residence Life staff will be more than happy to answer your questions.

If you would like to learn more about residence life at the Mount, please visit http://www.msmc.edu/Student_Life/Residence_Life.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Steven Juergensen, Class of 2017, is a Business Administration and Management student from West Islip, NY with a concentration in Finance.