Club Profile – C.I.R.C.L.E.

by · November 24, 2014

The C.I.R.C.L.E. club with members of the Men’s Lacrosse Team and local Newburgh children during their October 2014 read-a-thon.

Hello! My name is Lindsay Roe. Currently, I am serving as president of C.I.R.C.L.E., which is an acronym for the long, but descriptive name of the MSMC student club Conversations to Inspire Reading Children’s Literature with Engagement.

Members of C.I.R.C.L.E. share a love for reading and discussing children’s literature. At our biweekly meetings, we read different multicultural books and debate their place in the classroom and how they should be presented to children. Books to be discussed for the semester are chosen at the beginning of each term by C.I.R.C.L.E. members to ensure interest. In addition to meetings, C.I.R.C.L.E. members also share their books with students in the area, either by holding book talks in local elementary schools, volunteering at the Saturday reading program at the Newburgh Armory, or hosting events for local children on campus. 

This semester, we held our first read-a-thon, which ended up being my favorite part of my C.I.R.C.L.E. experience thus far. In October, C.I.R.C.L.E. teamed up with the Men’s Lacrosse Team to invite local Newburgh students to participate in a literature-filled day in the Mount library. The library was transformed into a campsite, complete with fake trees, tents, and a campfire. Reading together for four hours, all participants contributed to a total of over 250 books read. For every book read, students earned a leaf to place on the 2014 read-a-thon tree. (To learn more about the read-a-thon, click here – read-a-thon.)

Right – A member of the Men’s Lacrosse team assists his reading buddy in posting a paper leaf on the reading tree during C.I.R.C.L.E.’s read-a-thon held at the Mount in October 2014.

Anyone who enjoys children’s literature and/or wants to help promote literacy in the local community should join C.I.R.C.L.E.! Next semester, we hope to host another event for local children on campus. If you would like to become a member of C.I.R.C.L.E., want to participate in one of our events, or wish to be put on our email list, please contact me at lroe9059@my.msmc.edu.

Lindsay Roe, Class of 2015, is a History major with certification in Childhood and Special Education from Bloomingburg, NY.