Alumni Reflections: Carrie Waterman (Victoria)

by · November 21, 2014

This week marks exactly six months since the Class of 2014 walked across the stage and became the newest members of the Mount Saint Mary College alumni family. Those of us who knew the amazing Class of 2014 are definitely feeling their absence this year, so we decided to reach out to some of our recent alumni for updates. In honor of their six-month anniversary, Knight Life will be posting updates from a few students each day this week, highlighting their achievements and progress since graduation.

Current city/Major at the Mount:

My name is Carrie Waterman, which is weird to type because I’m so used to Carrie Victoria. (More on that soon.) I’m originally from Georgia, but I traveled to New York so that I could attend Mount Saint Mary College. I majored in English and minored in Psychology and Journalism.

Right – Carrie Waterman (Victoria) at her graduation with then-fiance Cody Waterman.

What have you been doing since you graduated in May?

A lot has happened since I graduated from the Mount. I spent months planning a wedding, and then, on October 17, I married my best friend! (Hence, the last name change mentioned earlier.) I’ve also been busy editing for two magazines – ASPIRE and Gloria Nilson Real Estate – from home. My husband, Cody, pictured above with me after commencement, graduated from flight school and is now an Army Blackhawk pilot. Just recently, Cody and I packed up everything we own and moved overseas to Germany. So, we have a lot of adventures ahead of us!

How did the Mount prepare you for life after college?

The Mount really helped to prepare me for life after college, especially the English department. The professors acted as mentors to me, helped me to become a better writer, and were always willing to answer any questions that I had – whether it was about a class or for career advice – and I want to thank them for that. The Mount also offered work experience through the work study program, the Writing Center, and the Career Center, which leads me to the biggest piece of advice that I can give to all MSMC students…

INTERN. The Career Center staff members are extremely accommodating and friendly. Most importantly, an internship provides you with work experience, information about the field you’re interested in, and a chance to get your name out there; it could also be a chance for hire. So, please, take advantage of the opportunities that MSMC offers to you!