Alumni Reflections: Nicole Armocida

by · November 19, 2014

This week marks exactly six months since the Class of 2014 walked across the stage and became the newest members of the Mount Saint Mary College alumni family. Those of us who knew the amazing Class of 2014 are definitely feeling their absence this year, so we decided to reach out to some of our recent alumni for updates. In honor of their six-month anniversary, Knight Life will be posting updates from a few students each day this week, highlighting their achievements and progress since graduation.

Nicole Armocida

Current city: Franklin Square, NY

Major at the Mount: History with a certification in Elementary and Special Education

What have you been doing since you graduated in May?

I was recently offered a Teacher’s Assistant position at the West End school in the Lynbrook school district. I am ecstatic to be working in a school, getting my “foot in the door,” and gaining more teaching experience! Also, since graduating from the Mount, I have begun my grad school journey at Queens College in the Literacy B-6th grade program. While I do miss being at the Mount, I am grateful for all the opportunities that I have been given since graduating and I could not be any more prepared to continue with this new chapter in my life.

How did the Mount prepare you for life after college?

Attending the Mount really prepared me in my field. Being in the Mount’s education program gave me so many opportunities to practice what I learned in the classroom. This really helps with my current job because I am more comfortable and confident in the classroom.

What advice would you give for students in your major about life after college?

The advice I would give to someone in the education field is to make sure you have many experiences to put on your resume. Volunteer with the CELL program,  join the C.I.R.C.L.E. club, volunteer or work in schools, tutor, etc. Another piece of advice would be to attend as many professional development events as possible. Learning new strategies is always a great thing to do! My last piece of advice would be to make sure you are having fun at the Mount. You only have these 4 years to “live your college years.” I have made some of the best memories here and I have made friends that I know I will have in my life for a long time. These are things that I will cherish and that have shaped me into the post-graduate that I am today!