Alumni Reflections: Sarah Favata

by · November 18, 2014

This week marks exactly six months since the Class of 2014 walked across the stage and became the newest members of the Mount Saint Mary College alumni family. Those of us who knew the amazing Class of 2014 are definitely feeling their absence this year, so we decided to reach out to some of our recent alumni for updates. In honor of their six-month anniversary, Knight Life will be posting updates from a few students each day this week, highlighting their achievements and progress since graduation.

Sarah Favata

Current city: Norwood, NJ

Major at the Mount: History with certification in Elementary and Special Education (1-6) and a Middle School Extension (7-9)

What have you been doing since you graduated in May?

Over the summer, I worked as a Head Counselor for four-year-olds at Palisades Country Day Camp. Now I am substitute teaching in Dobbs Ferry and Cornwall and am also attending graduate school for my master’s in Literacy at St. Thomas Aquinas College.

How did the Mount prepare you for life after college?

The Mount prepared me for life after college by molding me into a life-long learner. As part of the Honors Program, I participated in independent research in both history and education. This allowed me to expand my knowledge from my courses and make real-world applications. As a teacher, I now use this information to make sure that I can engage students in meaningful literacy conversations.

Another way the Mount prepared me for life after college is through my experience studying abroad in Fanjeaux, France. There, I worked with faculty and students from other Dominican colleges to learn about the Dominican tradition. From this experience I learned to become more open-minded, which has transferred to my teaching as well.

What advice would you give for students in your major about life after college?

It would be helpful for students in my major to substitute teach even before they graduate if their schedule allows. It is a great way to gain experience in different grades and learn how to implement different curriculums. I also would keep a log of different children’s books professors use in your courses that you could use in your own classroom. I have used many of them from my courses working with students while subbing or tutoring.