Club Profile – Colleges Against Cancer

by · October 20, 2014

MSMC’s Colleges Against Cancer group photo for the 2014-2015 school year. Christina Antico (kneeling, second from right) is president of MSMC’s chapter of the organization.

Colleges Against Cancer, also referred to as CAC, is a nationwide collaboration of students, faculty, and staff dedicated to eliminating cancer by working to implement programs and spread the mission of the American Cancer Society on college campuses. Here at the Mount, programs we partake in include the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, Great American Smokeout, Relay for Life, and much more.

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all of the events I’ve done with CAC; however, my favorite event – and our biggest – is Relay for Life. Tons of work goes into planning, but it’s a lot of fun along the way. For those who have never attended a Relay before, Relay for Life is an event that gives not only the College, but also the community, a chance to celebrate the lives of people who have battled cancer, remember lost loved ones, and fight back against the disease. It is an overnight fundraising walk (usually 6 pm-6 am) where teams of people camp out in our gym. Members of each team take turns walking the track to raise money for the organization. In the meantime, there are all sorts of food, games, activities, and fundraising going on to keep you entertained all night! I already can’t wait for this year’s Relay!

Christina Antico (middle) with some other members of the MSMC Colleges Against Cancer chapter at the Making Strides of the Hudson Valley, N.Y. walk for breast cancer awareness on Sunday, October 19th.

Cancer touches so many lives; I don’t know a single person who hasn’t been affected by it in some way. Joining CAC and Relay for Life is a great way to reach out to others and make a difference, not just on our campus, but also for people all over the nation.

Want to join us? Feel free to email me or any of the other officers if you are interested in learning more about CAC or Relay For Life!

Christina Antico, President, cant1725@my.msmc.edu

Diana Pernicano, Vice President, dper3930@my.msmc.edu

Anthony Cona, Treasurer, acon5000@my.msmc.edu

Laura Corveleyn, Secretary, lcor2083@my.msmc.edu

Knight Life would also like to congratulate the Mount’s chapter of CAC for their recent reception of the College Philanthropy Award, presented by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, Mid-Hudson Valley Chapter. This award honors the philanthropic efforts of volunteer groups in the area.

Christina Antico, Class of 2017, is a mathematics major with concentrations in adolescent and special education from Smithtown, NY.