Helping Others Through Physical Therapy

by · October 13, 2014

Kathryn Zubicki (left), a physical therapy/biology major, made slime with fellow science student Melanie Hofbauer (right) at the American Chemical Society and Division of Natural Sciences sponsored event for local children, “Science Fun Night,” in the fall of 2013.

Hi. My name is Kathryn “Kate” Zubicki, and I am a biology major focusing on physical therapy.

I always wanted to help people, and I was always interested in science; science just makes sense to me and I love discovering how everything works and is connected. Thus, the medical field seemed to be the best fit because I could merge helping and science. Studying physical therapy joins these two interests, creating the perfect career for me. I get to physically see the difference I am making in joints and muscles, and how feeling better impacts patients’ lives.

As a biology major, I have the opportunity to learn from the entire Natural Science Division. I love working with all the different professors to make sense of the world. This may be my favorite aspect of the major: the entire division is just so welcoming and helpful. If you ever have a question, there are always students and professors who are willing to help.

Human Anatomy and Physiology has to be my favorite class. Learning how the body works just fascinates me and it is so easy to apply what you are learning because you are working with tangible objects.

My favorite professor, not to take away from the others, would have to be Dr. Fahey. She was my professor for Organic Chemistry and is always supportive. She frequently comes to softball games to support her students and is always willing to talk out problems and answer questions. She also really tries to help with biology questions, even though she is a chemistry professor.

My greatest piece of advice for new students would be to learn how to use the science databases and Google Scholar very fast. We are frequently doing research and need a lot of articles. The faster you learn to use the databases to find exactly what you need, the faster your research will go. Also, writing out all the notes and making a study guide by hand seems to be the best studying technique. Reading the chapters as they are assigned and writing notes on the PowerPoint slides makes studying a lot easier as well.

Freshman year is definitely one of the harder years for a physical therapy major and many people consider quitting. If working in physical therapy is what you really want to do, do not let the textbooks scare you. You can do this; just take a deep breath and dive in.

Kathryn Zubicki, Class of 2016, is a physical therapy/biology major from Kearney, NJ.