Marketing at the Mount

by · December 18, 2013

Jade Hanley

Interning this past semester has taught me more than I ever thought I could learn, not only about my field, but about myself as well. I was lucky enough to have an internship in the Marketing Office at the College. During my time there, I experienced first-hand every aspect of marketing, including photography and videography, advertising, web content management, social media management, and so much more.

Before I started, I was excited to begin and learn more about where I could possibly go with my future. I got the idea to apply for this internship after attending an English Careers seminar. It was there that I had learned just the beginning of where English careers and the business world meet. The two concepts together never crossed my mind, and I initially applied for the marketing internship to learn more about this.

Now that I’ve completed my internship, I am thankful that I trusted myself enough to do something like that. Even though I originally thought I would be in the publishing world, I wanted to broaden my horizons and explore more possibilities. Now, I feel confident in what I want to chase for a career, and it’s no longer publishing. Not too long before the end of my internship, I spent a long time in the Career Center reworking my resume. I feel so proud to say that the headline now reads “web content management.”

I never thought that an internship could change a person so drastically, but that was definitely the case. I gained practical experience that I will be using in my future field, and I finally feel content with my career choice. I am a strong advocate of internships. After my experience, I believe every person should try at least one, even if it’s not in the exact field they thought they wanted to pursue.

Jade Hanley, class of 2015, is an English major from Manalapan, New Jersey.