Mathematics at the Mount

by · December 11, 2013

NCTM ConferenceMount students and faculty at the NCTM Conference

As a senior mathematics major getting certified in adolescence education with a middle school extension, I’ve had the chance to get to know professors in both the education and math divisions, and I’ve thrived here at college thanks to everything I’ve experienced within the past four years. I am currently student teaching and have had an adequate amount of experience in the education field. During my first student teaching placement, I was at Bishop Dunn Memorial School teaching math in grades 6-8. My second placement was at NFA North, where I worked with many different classes and played different roles inside of the classroom. Getting to experience teaching in middle school and in high school has helped me decide that I want to be a middle school math teacher.

Last October, I, along with several other students and Dr. Bready, traveled to Hartford, Connecticut, for a National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) conference. There, I met and interacted with other students and teachers, and we attended presentations and gained materials that will help me when I am a teacher and I have my own classroom. My knowledge of mathematics expanded and I learned more creative ways to make math fun.

Last semester, I had two education internships working in schools with children. This past summer, I was able to intern with Habitat for Humanity in Newburgh. Working with three other Mount students, various people at the Habitat Headquarters, and Dr. Fothergill, the Mount’s liaison between Habitat for Humanity and the Math Division, we surveyed over 350 land parcels and put together a spreadsheet of all the information. Karen BorstWe organized crime and economic data, and came up with a statistical equation that would further help us to decide which areas in Newburgh need the most work, based on a census block percentage. This opportunity broadened by horizons and allowed me to use math in new ways outside of the classroom.

After I graduate, I plan to get a master’s degree in literacy and then either a second master’s degree or a doctoral degree in school administration. My undergraduate experience has helped me develop both personally and academically, and I will forever cherish my time here at Mount Saint Mary College.

Karen Borst, class of 2014, is a mathematics major with certification in adolescence education from Levittown, NY.