Graduating from Arts & Letters

by · May 8, 2013

Erin in The Clean House
Above: Erin-Therese Vecchi acting in The Clean House

At lunch the other day, I asked my friend if she had any regrets about college, and she said, “No.”

I, on the other hand, rattled off a list of regrets. I wish I had also minored in history, joined Knight Radio, took a painting or drawing class, and joined the choir. However, between two majors, a concentration, a minor, acting in plays, editing the student newspaper, and a job, I just couldn’t fit everything in.

My regrets should be taken with a grain of salt, considering I graduate in ten days and all I can think about is wanting another four years in college, this college. Luckily, as part of the Division of Arts & Letters, I had a lot of freedom to accomplish most of my goals and dreams for college.

Just past the atrium of MST, and tucked into a hallway near The View, is the Arts & Letters Division. In both places, you’ll find professors who might intimidate you with their extensive vocabularies and knowledge of James Joyce and Tennessee Williams, but who will also make you laugh, think, and excel. These professors are not going to mold your mind, they’re going to expand it.

For the past four years, I have been fortunate enough to call myself an English and communications major, as well as a theatre minor. I have been lucky enough to be instructed by Sr. Catherine Walsh, Dr. Sulit, Professor Beard, Dr. Cotter, Dr. Shea, Professor Phillips, Dr. Witkowsky, Dr. Entrekin, and Dr. Von Rosk. There were times when I cursed these teachers because I put off a paper until the last minute and blamed them, and there were times I praised these professors for helping me or for giving an easy extra credit question on the midterm. There have been times where I’ve had nervous breakdowns over things I thought to be catastrophic, only to have Dr. Sulit sort it out calmly or Sr. Catherine fix it in three seconds. Even the professors I haven’t had class with smile and say hello in the halls.

While I may be joking about my regrets, I will never regret any of the Arts & Letters classes that I’ve taken. I recommend that everyone take an Arts & Letters class, whether it’s Acting, News Writing, Plays of Tennessee Williams, Literature for Young Adults, Choir, Public Speaking, or Creative Writing. Take a class that will make you think with a professor that will make you enjoy it.

Graduating from the Mount will be difficult, but graduating from Arts & Letters will be excruciating.

Erin-Therese Vecchi, class of 2013, is an English and communications major with a concentration in journalism and a minor in theatre from Levittown, NY. Erin is a co-managing editor for the Mount’s student newspaper, Mount Messenger.