Preparing for Life after College

by · March 27, 2013

Above: Photos from the 13th Annual Employment Fair on March 27, 2013

As someone graduating in the very near future, the idea of finding a job keeps me up at night. I was lucky to get an amazing education, but soon I will have an amazing amount of education loans. Fortunately, the Mount’s Career Center teaches you how to fly before being kicked out of your comfy nest.

There is a magical place in Aquinas Hall called the Career Center. There, you will find fairy internship and career godmothers like Mrs. O’Keefe and Mrs. Nolan, who will turn your resume from a pumpkin into a Rolls-Royce. Mrs. O’Keefe and Mrs. Nolan have spent hours upon hours with me building up my resume, teaching me interview etiquette, and matching me with internships that I will find useful and enjoyable. You can walk into the Career Center in a panic over your future and walk out with several internship possibilities and a newfound confidence. The Career Center offers countless programs to help students every step of the way so that the transition from college to the working world is a smooth one.

As an English major, I cringe when I am asked, “What grade do you want to teach?” Teaching is an admirable profession, but not all English majors want to go into education. This year, the Career Center and the Division of Arts and Letters sponsored a program called Careers for English Majors. The panel was comprised of a journalist, technical writer, advertising and business writer, and a book publisher. The panelists graciously answered all questions and put many worries to rest. This is just one example of the many, many programs offered to help get students on the right career path.

On March 27, 2013, the Career Center hosted their 13th Annual Employment Fair. Businesses from all over the Hudson Valley and New York City gathered in the Kaplan Recreation Center to network, provide information, and broaden student’s possibilities and ideas. This was the perfect opportunity to meet employers face-to-face and hand out resumes. You can go into the Employment Fair set on meeting one specific employer and find yourself happily leaving with six business cards and an interview for next week. The employers are friendly and they very obviously want to help.

By the time you leave the Mount, you should have a full resume, interview suit, and the confidence to walk up to any interviewer and shake their hand. With the Career Center in your corner, you’ll be able to jump from the nest before you’re kicked out of it.

Erin-Therese Vecchi, class of 2013, is an English and communications major with a concentration in journalism and a minor in theatre from Levittown, NY. Erin is a co-managing editor for the Mount’s student newspaper, Mount Messenger.