Unscripted: Life in the MSMC Theatre Program

by · February 20, 2013

W. Biersack in The Mystery Plays
William Biersack (left) and Joseph Mastando performing in The Mystery Plays, fall 2012.

In day to day life, everybody has their roles. Take the Mount, for instance; some people on campus can say “I am a student,” “I am a professor,” or “I am an athlete,” and everybody is defined by those roles.

One of the truly amazing things about being an actor is being able to say, “I am (blank).”

From an actor’s perspective, everything changes when I’m on stage. In those moments, when an audience member is looking at me and believing in everything I do or say, the options are limitless. I can be a charming neurologist, a doting father, a supernatural serial killer, and everything in between. Every performance is an expression of art that can never be reproduced and will never be witnessed outside of the moments when they exist. It is for these reasons and more that I find Mount Saint Mary College theatre to be a unique and exciting experience.

It is through theatre and drama club that I was able to find fantastic friends that I could create memorable moments with, both on and off stage. At this point in my life, I can’t imagine a future that doesn’t include theatre or the people I have met because of theatre.

For all those who are possibly interested, there are many ways to get involved with productions at school. Each semester, the theatre program holds auditions and new students are more than encouraged to join. Also, I am an officer of Different Stages, the student-run drama club, and we are always welcoming new members. If anybody wants to get involved but doesn’t know how, contact me by email. I am available to answer any of your questions.

William Biersack, class of 2015, is a math major with concentrations in elementary and special education, from the Bronx, New York. Billy last appeared on stage in MSMC Theatre’s fall production of The Mystery Plays. He has also directed performances of Wit and Five Women Wearing the Same Dress.