The Honors Program at MSMC

by · February 13, 2013

Honors Council
Honors Council: (Top row, left to right) Emily Knapp, Service Representative; Sandra Wamsley, Webmaster; Alyssa Watkins, Chair; Emily DiBiase, Public Relations Representative. (Bottom row) Elizabeth Ma, Secretary; Nicole Harvilla, Historian; Colin O’Keefe, First Assistant; Allison Cowan, Treasurer. Not pictured: Stephanie Weaver, Faculty Representative.

“Study while others are sleeping; work while others are loafing; prepare while others are playing; and dream while others are wishing.” – William A. Bard

Hi! My name is Emily and I’m the Public Relations Officer for the Student Honors Council. In case you haven’t heard much about the Honors Program here at MSMC, I just want to take a few moments to talk about this amazing facet of Mount Saint Mary College.

Here at the Mount, academic excellence is promoted in all students. Students in the Honors Program, however, are particularly encouraged to achieve their highest level of academic potential through custom-designed and advanced classes, special service opportunities, and entertaining programs exclusively for honors students.

There are many perks to being a part of the Honors Program here at Mount Saint Mary College. For instance, Honors Students receive priority registration for classes, allowing them to register with seniors. Students enrolled in the program are also offered special housing with other like-minded students. Finally, the Honors Program sponsors fun activities for its scholars, from trips to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Broadway shows to organizing food drives and honors receptions held on campus.

Once a student is part of the Honors Program, he or she must maintain a GPA of 3.4. Honors Students are required to take 18 credits of Honors classes in order to graduate from the program, 3 of which must be from an interdisciplinary course and 3 from an Honors research project to be conducted by the student.

Some of you may be wondering how being in the Honors Program can benefit you after you have completed your degree. The benefits of being an Honors Student extend far beyond your years at MSMC. Upon completion of the program, Honors Students receive a special certification on their transcripts. Being able to put an Honors citation on job applications will also allow you to stand out when applying for your dream job a few years down the road. Finally, you will be able to make lifelong connections not only with fellow Honors students, but also with Honors faculty members who can help your professional development.

For me, joining the Honors Program has been one of the best decisions I’ve made since coming to MSMC. Not only have I been challenged to grow to levels of academic achievement I didn’t even know were possible in myself, I have also met some wonderful people. From the superb Honors faculty, who have become not only professors, but also friends, to my floormates in the Honors wing of Sakac Hall, who are the sisters I never had, I’ve made wonderful connections that will last a lifetime. And being a part of the Honors Program goes outside of schoolwork; last semester, for instance, I was able to see the Tony-award winning Broadway show Once with other MSMC Honors students.

Being an Honors student has also allowed to me to participate on the Student Honors Council, which helps to plan and make decisions for the student aspect of the Honors Program.

If you are interested in learning more about the Honors Program here at Mount Saint Mary College, please visit our website at www.msmc.edu/honors.

Happy studying!
Emily

Emily DiBiase, class of 2016, is an English major with a minor in religious studies from Putnam County, NY.