Coming Home Again

by · September 26, 2012

Megan MorrisseyIt was August of 2006 and I had just moved the rest of my stuff into my new room in Sakac Hall. I was excited for this new journey I was about to embark on, but I was also scared to death. What if my roommate and I didn’t get along? What if I failed all of my classes? What if I didn’t make a single friend on campus and I was doomed to walk into the dining hall and eat all alone? These thoughts circle throughout every freshman’s mind at least once before arriving at college. For most of us, it’s our first time away from home and the thought of not having our parents, family, or friends nearby to turn to when we may need them can be terrifying. I always wished there was an office on campus that was designed to help first year students with their adjustment to college life, because when I was a freshman, we had to figure it out mostly on our own.

Freshman year came and went, and before I knew it, I was a senior in college. The four years I had spent at Mount Saint Mary College were filled with a lot of hard work but also a lot of fun. I was an active member of the Student Government Association, worked as an Admissions Ambassador, and participated in Different Stages, the theater club on campus. I made a lot of amazing friends that I still keep in contact with, many on a daily basis. I walked across the stage in May of 2010 and received my bachelor of arts in public relations. I thought this was my final goodbye to Mount Saint Mary College, but really, it was only the beginning of our story together.

I went on to get my graduate degree from Long Island University and graduated in May of 2012 with my master’s degree in school counseling. With two degrees and plenty of internship experience, I was foolish enough to think that a job would happily fall in my lap, but of course that didn’t happen. I was applying for jobs all over the country when a familiar face from none other than Mount Saint Mary College tracked me down to let me know about a new position was opening up at MSMC. Kathleen O’Keefe, associate director of the Career Center, told me about the academic coach position opening up in the Center for Student Success. I interviewed and was offered the position in August.

Remember how I said I wished they had an office designed to help new students? Well my wish was granted and to top it off, now it’s the office that I work in! The Center for Student Success is here to help first-year students make the transition from high school to college as easy as possible. Each incoming freshman is assigned an academic coach, and we are here to assist you with time management skills, study skills, and learning styles. We even do some academic advisement. Our mission is simple: we want you to be successful. (In fact, we think it’s so important we put it in our title!) We’re always here to answer any questions or concerns you may have about anything that has to do with classes or campus life!

This school and the people in it helped to make me the person I am today. I am proud to say I graduated from Mount Saint Mary College and that I am back here today helping students who are now on the path that I was once on. It really does feel like coming home again.

Megan Morrissey graduated from Mount Saint Mary College in 2010 with a bachelor of arts in public relations. She currently works as an academic coach in the Center for Student Success, helping students make the transition from high school to college. The Center for Student Success is located in Aquinas Hall, room 304. Stop by, call 845-569-3176, or email css@msmc.edu to make an appointment with your academic coach today.